Compost and Soil pH

Asked February 20, 2018, 10:01 AM EST

hello, I'm trying to calculate the impact of applying purchased compost to our soil, including its nutrient release (NPK as well as other macro and micronutrients), as well as soil pH. I have gotten some formulae for calculating N/P availability, and have test results from our compost supplier. However, I cannot find a good resource on how to calculate the impact of applying this compost which as pH 7.97 on our soil pH. Can you please advise? Thank you.

Queen Anne's County Maryland soil ph compost ph nutrient availability

Nutrient release is going to be determined in large part by the temperature of the soil, moisture levels, and microbes. There is no formula to give a simple answer.

The link on the following page may help you with pH and nutrient availability: http://extension.umd.edu/learn/soil-ph-affects-nutrient-availability

We recommend that you get a soil test (search 'soil testing' on our website) to judge if the compost will raise the pH.