Want to get rid of English Ivy and periwinkle in my woods. What herbicide...

Asked February 20, 2018, 9:51 AM EST

Want to get rid of English Ivy and periwinkle in my woods. What herbicide spray (too much to cut and do ea. strand) to eliminate it? Did a mixture of mineral oil and Bayer Advanced Brush Killer (suggested on another website) in late fall but I don't think it did the job. Tested it in one area only to see if it works before I sprayed all areas. Probably a 40 ft square area. I just don't see any difference. Thanks!

Miami County Ohio english ivy removal english ivy

Hello and thank you for asking. I hope that I can be of some help to you. You said that you sprayed the Bayer in the fall. I am not sure why you combined mineral oil with the Bayer product. To me, that would cut the effectiveness of it. Also, many of the products out there need to be used above a certain temperature. If not, they don’t work as well. You need to remember when using any chemical, that the Label Is The LAW. Use it as directed. Follow the directions exactly. I’m sure that the Advanced Brush Killer, would have worked had you done that. You can also try any product that contains Glyphosate—just follow the directions on the label. Spring is the best time to try to control English Ivy as the waxy coating on the leaves has not yet formed. Remember too, not to step where you have sprayed and walk elsewhere, or you will have dead looking footprints in your grass or flower bed. Here is an article for you. http://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgic/pests/weeds/hgic2327.html Hope this helps