Ivy

Ivy has taken over approximately 110 sq. Ft of my garden on the south side of my garage. It has also started to grow up a tree. I want to get rid of it. What are the best, easiest method to eradicate the ivy?

Adams County Colorado invasive ivy removal

Would it be possible to send a picture of the plant? There are several plants that get called ivy.

If the leaves are still green at this time of year then its probably English ivy and you can find a very in depth discussion for how to control it here: http://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgic/pests/weeds/hgic2327.html

Here are a few pictures of the ivy I would like to eradicate from my garden. Thank you

That is definitely English Ivy.

The article here has lots of information about control:http://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgic/pests/weeds/hgic2327.html

It's a very difficult plant to get rid of. Essentially your options are cut and remove the vines and anytime you see new growth remove it till you wear the plant out or consider using an herbicide. If you decide to use an herbicide here is some information from the article above:

"Herbicides may be required for the control of large areas of English ivy. The spring is the best time to apply an herbicide when 3 to 5 new leaves appear on the English ivy vines. This new growth does not yet have the waxy cuticle covering present on the older leaves, which allows for better penetration of herbicides. Alternatively, the English ivy can be mowed or cut back with a string trimmer. When new growth appears, herbicides can be sprayed. Mix and spray a 2 or 3% solution of glyphosate for best results. Always follow label directions for mixing, use and safety. Watch for new growth from areas missed or inadequately sprayed because of multiple layers of vines and foliage, and then repeat the application of glyphosate.

Glyphosate is a general, non-selective, systemic herbicide that has the least soil activity and is less harmful to the roots of nearby trees and shrubs than other herbicides. If desirable plants are in the beds, spraying may either be done before perennials appear in the spring, or individual plants may be covered with plant containers. Spray when temperatures are above 55 to 60 ºF. Repeated treatments will probably be required. Do not allow spray to contact the foliage, stems, exposed roots, or the trunks of desirable shrubs or trees. A glyphosate solution may penetrate the bark of many landscape trees causing injury. Examples of products containing glyphosate are listed in Table 1.

Triclopyr is the active ingredient in many brands of brush killers and is a systemic, broadleaf plant herbicide that can be used for English ivy control. Apply a 2 to 5% triclopyr solution in the spring as new growth appears (3 to 5 new leaves per vine). Always follow label directions for mixing, use and safety. Watch for new growth from areas missed or inadequately sprayed because of multiple layers of vines and foliage, and then repeat the application of triclopyr."

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have further questions.