Rain garden

Asked February 17, 2018, 9:54 AM EST

Hello, I am hoping to create a successful rain garden in my back yard in Bowling Green. I am looking for advice and direction in building something that can reduce flooding in my historic home and prevent unnecessary run-off. The previous owner built a French drain to gather the water that pours off the metal roof, but it has no where to go but out to the street. Any advice related to plants or garden planning is welcome! I included a picture of the back yard. The French drain runs along the back porch, and then goes to the right, towards the front of the house out to the street. I imagined that the best place to put a rain garden would be in that corner, given the slope of the yard and the placement of the french drain. Any advice is welcome!

(Plants I have been considering including in the yard that seem tolerant to moist soil and 6B zone: Sweet Bay magnolia tree, Persimmon Tree , button bush, summersweet, smoke bush florida anisex, ostrich fern, lady fern, trumpet creeper, joe pye weed, vanilla sweet grass, spider wart, butterfly weed, bee balm, savlia, verbena, cone flower, cornflower, tickseed, muscari, creeping jenny... I also like Bay Laurel, but I am not sure it will do well in this climate.)

Warren County Kentucky landscape design warren county kentucky horticulture

Thank you for contacting us about your inquiry. The University of Kentucky Cooperative Extension Service has an excellent publication on planning, constructing, and installing a rain garden in our area. It also includes more information about what plants are recommended for a rain garden situation. For more information, please see the link listed below:
http://www2.ca.uky.edu/agcomm/pubs/henv/henv205/henv205.pdf

If you have any other questions, feel free to contact me at the Warren County Cooperative Extension Service at (270) 842-1681.