I'm looking for a BROAD LEAF evergreen tree that will survive Ohio winters....

I'm looking for a BROAD LEAF evergreen tree that will survive Ohio winters. How about the Blue Japanese evergreen oak? Will the American Holly survive in Ohio? How about a flowering Magnolia? Any recommendations are appreciated.

Marion County Ohio

Where you live would be considered zone 5 of the plant hardiness zones. The Japanese Evergreen Oak is said to be hardy in zones 9-11, I therefore would not recommend it for your area. You can use the American Holly or Flowering Magnolias. I few varieties I would recommend:

Holly- Ilex "Nellie Stevens'
Magnolia "Brackens Brown Beauty' and 'Edith Brogue'
THESE ARE SUPPOSED TO BE MORE COLD TOLERANT.
You may want to put fencing around these in the winter to prevent deer from disturbing. Once the trees are established it is not an issue. Unfortunately there are not too many choices for broadleaf evergreen trees for Ohio. I hope that answers your question.

Thank you Donna,
Unfortunately I was thinking what you are saying.
My choice is very limited

Last spring I planted two of these Holly's and I'm hoping for the best this spring.
http://plants.oaklandnursery.com/12130001/Plant/9383/Berri-Magic_Meserve_Holly
My ground is heavy, so I usually dig a large hole and back fill with commercial topsoil. I also placed about a foot of clipped
grass around the base of both holly's, is that a good thing? I also place about five inches of mulch under
the grass clippings.

I'm tired of seeing naked trees in the winter!
John Beard

Hi John,

You typically should mix the dirt you remove for the hole with some organic material such as compost. You should not replace the dirt with something else. All evergreens prefer more acidic soil. I would recommend using HollyTone around the trees in the Spring. It is an organic Fertilizer specific for acid loving plants. Make sure you read the instructions for the appropriate application. Five inches of mulch also sounds like a lot. I would recommend around 2". The roots of the tree need to get air and water to survive. There are other evergreen trees that are not Boardleaf you may also want to consider, such as: Spruces, Arborvitae, Pines, some cypresses.