Do I need to start seeds inside?

I was planning on planting veggies in the ground and herbs in a box but I was wondering if I had to start the seeds inside. I have nowhere in the house that gets a lot of sun - sadly, and wasn't sure if it was a requirement - I get they will start better - but do I have to do it? Would it be a waste to go out in mid April and mid May to plant seeds in the ground? I am in Champlin so I have sand.

Hennepin County Minnesota seed starting horticulture

Plant seeds when the weather is warm and settled. This means the soil temps need to be at least 55 F. Nighttime temps should not be below 55F. If we have an early warm up seeds can be Lantern as soon as the ground warms. The last 3 years spring weather has been cool and wet and sensible gardeners planted on May 31st. Many veggies can be direct seeded : beans, lettuce, peas, radishes, carrots, tomatoes and peppers need a longer growing season and to get produce sooner it is worth starting them indoors or buying some plants.

https://www.gardeners.com/how-to/when-to-start-your-seeds/5215.html