Somethings killing my tree

I recently noticed damage to the trunk of a tree in my front yard. I’m pretty aware of change to our plants so I don’t think this took long. The tree appears to be rotting and the bark is falling off. I noticed some ants and was even bitten a few times but didn’t see a large number of them. Please help! We already lost a tree from Hurricane Matthew. I don’t want to lose another!

Chatham County Georgia trees and shrubs

Dear Chatham County resident,

Inadvertently your question was sent to the Athens-Clarke County Extension Office instead of your Chatham County Extension Office. Here is a link that will take you directly to their contact information.

http://extension.uga.edu/county-offices/chatham/contact-us.html

Because trees and conditions are generally much different in the Coastal Plains of Georgia versus here in the Piedmont Region, I would recommend you contact them for help and advice. However, your photos are excellent, so I would first email them to the office, then follow up with a phone call.

Master Gardener Help Desk

Athens-Clarke County Extension Office