Mirro 22 qt canner new spinning jiggler

There are no official instructions for how this is supposed to work. Online, people who have called the company say they were told that the canner should vent 3 or 4 times per minute--which seems to me would mean that the pressure is rising and falling. On the other hand, there are youtube videos of these canners under pressure with the jiggler continuously spinning gently. I tried that with only water in it and it is incredibly difficult to achieve. Last weekend I canned 22 pints of tuna in it with the spinner venting about every 20-25 seconds. Also, during my testing this morning, it started venting rusty water drops.I am concerned about the safety of this canner. Do you know anything about it? Thanks for any light you can shed on this! Laura Kreft North Bend, OR

Coos County Oregon food safety home food preservation

Sounds like you did everything right. I will agree that the spinner is a little weird but have several volunteers that have the Mirro and love it so you will probably get use to it.

As for the rusty water drops, I think it is just dirty water that collected in the vent during the processing. When the jars vent sometimes they siphon a little. It wouldn't be rust since the canner is aluminum.

As long as you vented the canner for 10 minutes, built up pressure and processed your tuna for 100 minutes while it was in the giggle pattern, it should be safe to eat and I am sure it will be delicious.

Thanks for using Ask an Expert

Nellie Oehler