Perennial Wild Flowers

Asked February 11, 2018, 11:04 AM EST

Hello I would like to plant perennial, drought resistant flowers along my long property line. Could you recommend a perennial variety that is drought resistant? I have such a long property line that I would need seeds for planting. I get full sun in this locations. Thank you

Frederick County Maryland

We'd recommend that you use the online publication, Native Plants for Wildlife Habitat an Conservation Landscaping: Chesapeake Bay Watershed. This is a very handy pub with photos and information on each plant, including sun/shade and moisture needs. There is a section on "Herbaceous Plants" which includes perennials primarily. In the end of the publication are lists for specific growing sites. "Plants for Dry Meadows" is a great list for your purposes. We would also add yarrow, amsonia taberneamontana, baptisia and especially echinacea (purple cone flower) to that list.