Soil sample

Asked February 9, 2018, 11:44 AM EST

This spring I'm thinking about putting down sod in some areas of my back yard. I've heard that you should check your soil before laying the soil. Can I bring a sample of my soil and have it tested? If so is there a charge and how do I go about bringing it in.

Jefferson County Kentucky soil testing jefferson county kentucky horticulture

That's a very good and timely question! We do test soils for nutrients and pH (soil alkalinity) based on what you wish to plant. Different plants and trees need a wide range of soil conditions to grow so let us know what you are growing and we will help you get the soil to the best receptive condition.

The following University of Kentucky routine soil testing instructions:

* Take multiple examples of the area to be tested, 4 to 8 inches down.

* Mix these together to equal 2 cups of soil.

* Allow to dry thoroughly.

* Put in clean baggy/container and bring to the Extension Office at 200 Juneau Drive (Middletown).

* Bring cash or check, its $7 for each area to be tested.

The test result are mailed to you (we get a copy too) with your soil’s pH and readings of major and minor nutrients along with information on how and what to change for the plants to be grown there.

The University of Kentucky will test your soil, get results back in about 2 weeks, and make recommendations all for 7 bucks. It is the best deal in horticulture!

This is a limited time offer!

The Jefferson County Soil and Water Conservation District (SWCD) is offering a soils test incentive program to offset the cost for Louisville Metro residents. The SWCD will provide up to 2 vouchers per household to cover the processing fee for a standard soils test. People wishing to participate in this incentive program must request the soils test voucher(s) from the Conservation District office. Email your voucher request to: jeffersonswcd@gmail.com or Rachel.White@ky.nacdnet.net the email should include your name, physical address, phone number and if you want one or two vouchers. The soil vouchers along with your soil sample should be taken to the Jefferson County Cooperative Extension Service at 200 Juneau Drive, Suite 400 for testing. Call 499-1900 (SWCD) if you have any questions.

This offer is avilable through a research grant so it is therefore limited. When funds run out the cost per soil test will return to 7 dollars each.

Feel free to contact our office if you have other questions.

Let me know if I can help you further!

Carol Wilder
Horticulture Technician
Jefferson County Cooperative Extension Service
Email: carol.wilder@uky.edu

502-569-2344
200 Juneau Drive
Louisville KY 40243