Fall put away

I would like info on what to do in the fall of year to get perennials ready for winter?

Hennepin County Minnesota gardening home horticulture perennials fall garden clean up

Thank you for the question. The category of perennial plants is large and care differs depending
on the plant. Can you tell me which perennials you are interested in learning about and I can address them specifically?
In general, we advise cutting back and removing all plant material from any plant that suffered from disease or insect problems to minimize re occurrence next season. Some gardeners like to leave healthy perennials standing in order to provide food for birds, cover for beneficial insects, and extra insulation for root systems. Others like a "clean slate" and cut everything down in the fall. Some plants are very hardy and require no extra insulation, others are more tender and would benefit from protection.

Here are some publications discussing fall and winter care of perennials:

Thank you for contacting Extension.