New Guinea Impatients, Snapdragons and Petunias

Hi, I was wondering if you could help me with starting's seeds indoors. I am trying all three mentioned in the title. I tried them last year also with very poor results. I am wondering if I should use a heat matt to propagate the seeds? From what I can find, it sounds like the snaps like it cool so no cover on the seeds and no heat matt. Also, does it sound right to put the impatiens and petunias on a heat matt, keep them covered and warmer than the snaps? Thanks so much for any help!!! Kim

Olmsted County Minnesota

Hi,

What fun!

I'm attaching some very good information on seed starting from the U. I definitely recommend using heat mats. They don't have to be the expensive plant heat mats; you can use regular mats, as well. I would use mats and covers on all of the seeds, even the snaps.

I am assuming you're using fluorescent lights...if not, you can buy relatively inexpensive shop lights and use one cool and one warm fluorescent tube. Use the chains to raise the lights as the plants get taller. After germination, you might consider using a timer on the lights that mimics the number of hours it is light outside.

Pay attention to the timing chart. You have to start petunias and impatients about now. The snaps can wait a bit.https://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/yard-garden/flowers/starting-seeds-indoors/#timing

Thank you so much for your help! I can't wait to see the results! Happy Spring :-)