melting chocolate in a microwave

I'm making brownies from a mix and want them to be a little more decadent. I added a small bag of chocolate chips to the mix, but would like to also put some on top. How do I melt the chocolate chips so I can either drizzle or spread them on top? Thanks!

Marion County Oregon food preparation

The best way to melt chocolate is to melt it gently in a double boiler. If you don't have one, it is very easy to make one. You just need to be careful of steam that will be released when you move the top. A 2- to 3-quart sauce pan will balance well. Find a metal bowl that will fit over the opening of the sauce pan. It should sink in part of the way, it doesn't need to go in very deep to work, but it should block most of the steam from escaping.

Add about 2 inches of water to the sauce pan. You need to be alert - so it doesn't boil dry. Add the bowl or double boiler insert. The water should not be touching the bottom of the bowl or double boiler insert. Add the chocolate. Cover with a lid. Bring to a boil, then back of the heat to a simmer. No need to stir, until you think it is all warmed. Stir, then carefully remove from saucepan onto a dry towel to collect the moisture, quickly. Don't stir once it is removed from the heat. While it is still hot, quickly scrape and pour it over the brownies. If you can move it around the brownie pan, instead of pouring it all into one place that will work best. Then, spread the hot chocolate with one stroke on the surface to retain the sheen. More movement will cause the chocolate on the top to cool too quickly, forming large molecules, and look dry and dull (it will still taste great, though). This skill takes practice. If you don't like the look on your first few tries, you can camouflage it with a dusting of powdered sugar, coconut and/or chopped nuts. Have fun. You'll be a "master" chocolatier, soon!