Daisies and pests

I have Shasta daisies near my front door and something appears to have burrowed into the ground at their roots. How can I prevent this? Is there another plant that is not susceptible? Thanks!

Montgomery County Maryland

The type of flower probably has nothing to do with the burrowing. You'll need to tackle the animal doing the burrowing. First, the animal must be identified in order to know how best to get rid of it.

What is the size of the opening to the tunnel? Is the soil raised? Is there soil kicked out around the entrance or not? Have the roots or stems of the plants been eaten or gnawed?

Here is our page of wildlife options with help identifying and controlling each pest: https://extension.umd.edu/hgic/lawns/lawn-weed-identification

Groundhog tunnels are several inches across. Mole tunnels are smaller and raised. Vole tunnel entrances are about the size of a quarter and no soil is kicked out. These are a few examples of clues to look for, but the best solution may be for you to attach some photos of the holes and tunnels to a reply so that we can see what's going on.