Pruning loganberries

How far from the ground should the lateral branches be pruned off the primocane? I don't want to be picking berries on my knees--I'm 82 Also, would it be a good idea to clip off the any remaining leaves? Thank you!

Coos County Oregon berries horticulture pruning berries

Thanks for checking in on your loganberries. I don't think that the leaves should be a problem (you may be cutting them off when you follow directions below.). I took a couple of paragraphs directly from the OSU berries specialist, Bernadine Strik in her column, "Late winter to early spring care will help caneberries thrive", to help you figure out the best approach to the pruning angle...the good news, done correctly, you shouldn't have to spend much time at all on your knees!:

If you pruned correctly last year, you should have tipped the new primocanes to about three-feet high in erect types and five feet in semi-erect types during the growing season, so that they formed branches. Now prune those lateral branches on these canes to 18 to 24 inches long.

The new primocanes on trailing blackberry cultivars including marionberries, boysenberries and loganberries, should not be summer-pruned. This blackberry produces new primocanes at the crown of the plant in the spring; these canes overwinter, become floricanes and produce fruit the following year. After harvest, floricanes die and should be removed from the trellis in late August. The new primocanes should be trellised in August or late winter after severe cold temperatures have passed.