Rats or flying squirrels in attic - please help

I have had rodents in my attic since December. I've employeed two exterminating companies and they have said either I have flying squirrels or rats. I am exptremely anxious and unhappy about the infestation and can't eat or sleep at my house. Yesterday one company put out powder on the floor. The powder shows the pawprints of the rodents. Can you please help us identify which rodent it is? The photos are attached.

Montgomery County Maryland wildlife rats flying squirrels rodents in attic identifying rodents by tracks pest - other

We can't say for sure from the photos. Rat and squirrel tracks are similar, though rat prints have 4 toes on the front feet and 5 toes on the back feet.

Another way to identify them is from their scat (feces).

Exterminators can easily put down rat traps or poison rat bait. At least that would eliminate that possibility. There are cameras that can be set to capture the animal also.
Animal repellent is another option that may work for you if you have squirrels: https://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/squirrelcontrol.htm

Maryland has a Nuisance Wildlife Hotline that may be very helpful in your situation: 877-463-6497.