where can I get information on raising alpacas

Asked January 28, 2018, 11:02 AM EST

Stark County Ohio alpaca alpacas

Although alpacas are by no means a new domesticated livestock species, the information on how to raise them is not quite as readily available as some of our other livestock, such as cattle or goats. There are however some pretty good online resources to get some basic husbandry information. http://www.alpacainfo.com/ is one of my favorite alpaca sites. It has tons on animal care as well as business information. If you are looking for a specific area of animal care it may be best to contact a vet in your area that does camelid medicine.

Whether you are interested in alpacas as a business venture or as pets, one of the best things you can do to learn about animal care is to find someone relatively close to you that already has alpacas. Most farmers are happy to share what they know with new farmers.

Hope this helps!