I love growing garlic, but did not get any in the ground this fall. I temps...

I love growing garlic, but did not get any in the ground this fall. I temps stay above freezing and I can work the soil, is there anything wrong with throwing some cloves in the ground in January, or at this point, would I be better off just planting them in early spring? Also, A friend just brought back some great looking heads of garlic from a farm in New Mexico. He lives in an urban setting and grows lots of stuff in pots. Could he actually try planting some cloves in pots? These would be outside.

Montgomery County Maryland garlic vegetables containers

Fall is the best time to plant garlic. However, If you have a well prepared area, you can plant now. You may be taking a chance of introducing a disease, if the cloves are not certified, disease-free garlic bulbs from reputable seed sources. Never plant garlic from a grocery store. It may be a symptomless disease carrier.
See our profile on garlic http://extension.umd.edu/hgic/garlic
You can try planting in containers and experiment. Some gardeners plant in grow bags.