beef production

Asked January 19, 2018, 10:32 AM EST

What is the amount of dry weight of forage produced in a normal year per acre on class 6s soils without irrigation. What is the weight gain per day of an AUM and what is the average price of beef? Thank you for your help.

Deschutes County Oregon beef cattle

In regards to the dry weight of forage, I would recommend you email Tim Deboodt, OSU Range specialist at tim.deboodt@oregonstate.edu or the Natural Resource Conservation Service (NRCS) as I do not have that information. www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/nrcs/site/national/home/

This is a tough question as there are so many factors that effect rate of gain in cattle to include age, breed, and sex of the animal. On average, cattle should gain a minimum of 2 pounds per day and 2.5 pounds is attainable depending on the quality of the range, distance to water, type of forages/plants, etc....
In regards to price of cattle, I need to know what you have as age, sex, and weight of animal all play a part in how much they are worth. Older cows may be worth .80 cents per pound and steers may be worth $1.40 per pound. I would check the central oregon livestock auction website for current prices: centraloregonlivestockauction.com/market-report.

If you can give me more details I can provide better information.

Scott Duggan-OSU Livestock Faculty
scott.duggan@oregonstateledu