Pruning roses that are growing from a base that is about 2 feet tall.

Asked January 16, 2018, 10:03 AM EST

We have 3 roses growing from these trunks. I want to prune them. Do I do it now or wait for early spring? We have had them a couple of years. The first year they were loaded with roses. They seem to be having less blooms each year. They were called Knock out roses that don't have to be cut off after they bloom, but I always cut them off instead of waiting for them to fall off. Is that wrong to do? I feed them with rose food from a local nursery in the summer.

Brunswick County North Carolina roses horticulture

The right time to prune Knock Out roses is late winter. Knockouts should be cut back to 18 inches every year to promote plant health. Blooms should be allowed to fall off after they die. Do a soil test. The ph should be between 5.5 and 6.0. Follow the soil report for the recommend fertilizer. Fertilize in March, May and July. pender.ces.ncsu.edu/2012/02/time-to-prune