snake shedding

My 4 month old ball python is trying to shed, but he can't, we tried letting him swim in the bath tub to help and we also tried putting him in a wet pillow case over night but it hasn't helped.His eyes are now a dull blue color. what should I do? He won't eat.

Furnas County Nebraska python regius ball python snake shedding

Thank you for your question. Your snake is most likely not quite ready to shed. Its eyes will go from blue/opaque to clear a day or two before it sheds. Allowing it to soak in the tub will help with the shedding process. I don't know that I would leave it in a wet pillowcase overnight. Keeping it in a damp environment for a long period of time may result in skin and respiratory problems. Humidity levels for ball pythons should be in the 50 - 60% range.

Make sure you have something rough in its cage that it can rub on to help start the shedding process. This can be a rock or piece of bark. It is normal for your snake not to be interested in feeding when it is preparing to shed.

Once your snake sheds, make sure all of the old skin has been removed. Check the eyes to make sure the old eye caps or lenses came off with the old skin. If there are still a few pieces of the old skin left, allow your snake to soak for about an hour in slightly warm water, and the remainder of the old skin should come off as the snake crawls around its cage.

I hope this answers your question, and thank you for contacting Ask an Expert.

Jim

It does, thank you.

You're welcome. Contact us if you have any further questions.

Jim