Elm Roots

We have too many tree roots growing up thru our fence - we replaced the fence and dug them out - which seemed to make them grow more- how can I get rid of them? One neighbor said he got rid of bamboo by treating it with bleach and 24D? Help!

Broomfield County Colorado trees and shrubs

Thank you for your question about eradicating your elm tree roots. I'm sorry that it has taken a while for someone to get back to you.

I have searched for an answer to your question that is supported by scientific research to give you a reliable answer. (I will note that removing bamboo, which is a grass, with bleach and 2, 4-D not only is not recommended, but will not be effective on elm trees, which are woody perennials. They have entirely different structures.) My search hasn't turned up anything helpful, so I suggest that you phone your county Extension office ((720) 887-2286) or visit them at 1 Descombes Dr., Broomfield, to see if they can give you some recommendations on this issue. They will know which herbicides, if any, are both effective and permissible in Colorado. I hope they are helpful. Good luck!