Early Budding, Blooming

Asked January 11, 2018, 8:25 AM EST

It's early January, temperatures are in single digits, and my blueberry bushes are budding and blooming!! Why? And what should I do about this? NOTE: In the attached photos, you may need to zoom to better see the buds and blooms. Hello; I would like to know if the bushes need some type of protection as the weather changes to warmer. Help. please.

Woodford County Kentucky blueberry production woodford county kentucky horticulture

I apologize for not receiving your message sooner. It is difficult to say for sure from these pictures, but what i am seeing is already spent blooms from last year where the bush fruited and the buds are normal for this time of year. They may have swelled a little when we had warm weather, but will be fine through the rest of the winter. You do not need to do anything to protect them. Please let me know if you have any issues this spring, but i don't anticipate problems.

Don't hesitate to email me at faye.tewksbury@uky.edu or call the extension office at 859-873-4601.

Thank you for your response. I will continue to monitor the bushes and hope for another big yield like last year.