What wild animal is visiting my yard?

I keep picking up piles of poop and want to know what is visiting my yard. It looks like a pile of cannon balls -- the balls are the size of peas, or plump raisins. The pile is a sort of round, about 4 inches across (lots of balls). I just picked up about 20 of those piles in my back yard. The yard is fenced with 6-ft wood privacy fence.

Fayette County Kentucky animals fayette county kentucky horticulture

Sounds like you have a rabbit.....or 2. The next time you see some piles, just put on an old pair of shoes and kick and scatter the piles around to add a little touch of nitrogen to your lawn. According to Michigan State University Extension "Fresh rabbit manure is approximately 2 percent nitrogen, 1 percent phosphorus and 1 percent potassium. Use it fresh, straight from under the hutch. It does not burn plants. Use the pellets to topdress your lawn, mulch roses, vegetables, flower beds and ornamental plantings, or supercharge your compost pile and create an earthworm heaven." If you do not desire to have visiting rabbits and the poo they leave behind, check your entire fence line for small gaps that they are wiggling thru and fill them in. Feel free to call the Fayette Extension Office at (859) 257-5582 for any further questions. Thanks!!