Hello. OK here is an interesting report. I have a jar of alfalfa seed that I...

Hello. OK here is an interesting report. I have a jar of alfalfa seed that I have had in storage, unheated and uncooled, for almost 40 years. The jar is fairly well sealed, but has been subjected to temps of 10 below to 100 above F for the last decade or more. I found the jar last month- did a germination test and amazingly get well over 50% germination. It seems that this would be worth reporting in a publication of some sort. I can provide pictures or seed samples. Know any student or faculty interested in this information? -Brian Blair

Hocking County Ohio

Brian,

To be honest I do not know of anyone working on data such as that. Perhaps contact Logan Hocking High School? They have an FFA program and do some seed work. Seeds can be viable for thousands of years in some cases. I have read reports about explorers finding seeds in glaciers that germinated that have been there long periods of time. Thanks for the update.