New Mexico Red Chili Sauce

Greetings! I regularly make a traditional New Mexico Red Chili Sauce. I usually freeze it, but have begun wondering about canning it. Can i home can it? Water bath or pressure canner? I've attached the recipe. a couple of notes about the recipe. i do use masa to thicken the sauce, and i do understand that I cannot can with a thickening agent. Also, these are NM red chilis and while I don't know the acidity of the sauce it is fiery hot! Red Chili Sauce Rinse and remove stem and seeds from about a dozen chili pods Break into piece and place in a pot Cover with water Add a bay leaf Bring to a boil then let simmer for about 20 minutes Cool slightly Drain the water and discard both the water and the bay leaf Puree the chili pods in batches in the blender, adding a bit of water if necessary (Use fresh water, not the water you cooked the chilies in) To the puree add: 3 C fresh water ¼ - ½ t ground cumin 1 ½ t garlic powder ½ t salt 1t sugar 1T yellow masa bring to a boil, then simmer uncovered for 10- 15 minutes • 12 chili pods = approximately 1.5 C puree • add back 3 C water • basic rule of thumb ratio is 3:1 * The masa serves as a thickening agent. It works much better than flour, which can taste pasty. If the sauce is too thick, just add a little water until it’s the consistency you want. I appreciate any help you can offer. thanks Elizabeth

Polk County Oregon

Thank you for your question. The recipe sounds delicious. It is best to freeze this recipe. The sauce is pretty low-acid and thick. We don't have a comparable tested recipe, so there's no way to know how long it would need to be pressure canned to make it safe. It's also possible that it's too dense/thick for the heat to penetrate appropriately, making it unsafe for canning. So - keep freezing it! And, thanks again for your important question.

Happy New Year!
Tonya