Sack in tree

I have a 15-year-old tree along my property that has what appears to be an empty sack. I am wondering what kind of sack it is and whether I need to do anything about it before next spring. I did notice an unusually large number of webs around my house (on screens, around garage doors, etc.) this summer but only noticed the sack recently. Thank you.

Montgomery County Maryland wildlife pest control bald faced hornet hornet nest wasp nest bald faced hornet nest

This is the abandoned nest of a bald faced hornet. At the end of the summer, all the hornets die each year except for the queen, who abandons the nest and overwinters somewhere else. The nests are never reused. It will slowly disintegrate and new leaves will hide what remains. You do not need to do anything about it.

Although we do not usually think of hornets as good or beneficial, actually they are! For most of their lives, they feed on other pesky insects which you don't want around. (They catch them and feed them to their babies.) They are not aggressive and rarely sting unless you are aggressive with them. So don't worry when you see one of these hives high in a tree. They are helping you out.

Thank you so much for your time and helpful info.