Pruning Fig Tree

Hello. I have a three year old fig tree that has just started to produce fruit on one of its branches last year and am preparing to prune it for next year. I have already done some light pruning and was wondering if I need to prune more. Also, one of the larger branches has some damage and about half the bark on the section has been removed. Should I keep or remove the branch? Thanks and happy holidays.

Montgomery County Maryland pruning fruit fig

Wait until the spring to access any additional winter damage before pruning.
It is possible the damage may be deer rubbing. If you have deer in the area, protect with some fencing. Also, the plant may have sustained some cold damage. If so, the tree may not produce fruit this season.
The good news is that the root system is not usually affected. For additional protection put additional leaves inside the fencing.
Take a look at our blog post and website for more information and pruning. http://extension.umd.edu/hgic/figs