Planting Iris In Winter

In August, I received two dozen Iris rhizomes from my Sister's garden in Denver, Colorado. They were put aside and forgotten until recently. Because they are originally from our Mother's garden, I am most anxious to now give them the best chance for survival. Is it too late to plant them in my Bethesda garden and survive the winter? Or should I plant/pot them inside a sunny window then transplant to my outside garden in the spring? Or ... ? Also have the same concern for a bag of spring bulbs I dug up last Summer. Thanks -

Montgomery County Maryland iris plant care flowers: annuals and herbaceous perennials flower iris bulbs not planted in time iris rhizomes in winter iris rhizome

Keep all your rhizomes and bulbs in a cool dark place, such as a basement or garage, over the winter. Check periodically for rot. If you spot any, discard that rhizome or bulb.

You do not want the rhizomes to shrivel up in a dry environment. A plastic bag with holes for ventilation has been recommended.