Allium Leafminer in my leeks

Asked December 19, 2017, 11:24 AM EST

Can't believe that after 23 years of growing leeks, I found this fall harvest is infected with allium leaf miner pupae (looks like the photo on the Penn State extension website). Shall I dig up and discard in the trash all my allium crops, which of course are all in the same bed? This includes chives, shallots, and garlic. What about the soil? Shall I turn it over, or will that push the pupae further in the soil? Please advise. Thank you.

Baltimore County Maryland garlic vegetables leeks shallots vegetable pests onion chives pest insects and mites allium leafminer

Please read through our webpage on allium leafminer. It has several management strategies: https://extension.umd.edu/learn/allium-onion-leafminer

Yes, you'll want to remove any debris in the allium family. This is a relatively new pest. You can try turning the soil to expose the pupae to birds and colder temperatures. You may also want to skip a planting season to remove their food source and break the life cycle.