Canning Marmalade

I did a batch of Meyer lemon marmalade and failed to cook it down enough to thicken properly after cooking. It is bottled and sterilized. Can I simply open and cook down further to make a proper marmalade? Or am I stuck with a tick lemony sauce for other uses?

Lane County Oregon food safety home food preservation food preparation

My suggestion is to open a few jars and try cooking it down and see if you can get it to thicken. You can try cooking small batches in the microwave. Bring it to a boil and then reduce the power to 30-50% and cook until it reaches the jelling stage. Cover the bowl with a paper towel to keep the spatters from dirtying up the microwave. Sometimes the jam gets really gummy when recooked so that is why I suggest opening a couple jars and see if it works before opening all of them at once. You can also cook them on top of the stove and stir constantly however sometimes it can scorch.
Just know recooking is not a safety issue so go ahead and experiment.

Good luck

Thanks for using Ask an Expert

Nellie Oehler