Mice infestation.

In the last 24 hrs. I have trapped and disposed of 7 mice all in the kitchen area, mostly under the kitchen sink. I have repeatedly checked outside vents, pipe and wire entries and all are sealed and secured properly. Obviously they are somehow gaining entrance into the crawlspace and then into the cabinets in the kitchen. I am considering putting rodenticides in the crawlspace area. I dislike the use and affects of the anticoagulant baits, and might consider "Prozap" Pelleted Bait. Zinc being the main ingredient. I would appreciate your feedback on this issue. Art Dietz

Lane County Oregon rodents mice

Good morning, Art.

I looked up some Prozap pelleted products and learned a few things.

1) There is one version that's only allowed for pocket gophers (EPA Reg. No. 61282-51), and another version that contains diphacinone, which is an anticoagulant (EPA Reg. No. 61282-19), and another version that is "restricted-use" so you would need a license to use it (EPA Reg. No. 61282-101).

2) There is one product called Prozap Zinc Phosphide Rodet Pellets AG (EPA Reg. No. 61282-56) that is allowed for use indoors for house mice. It is only allowed to be sold in large quantities (minimum four pounds) in order to discourage homeowner (non-professional) use.

If you're still interested, I can tell you that zinc phosphide is likely to kill mice faster than anticoagulants, which can take 5-7 days and multiple feedings. Zinc phosphide also poses much lower risk to birds and mammals that may consume dead/dying mice, compared to anticoagulants.

Now let's come back to thinking about your infestation. It's still the size of a litter of mice. It's possible that a litter was born inside, and you will need to trap them all before they breed. If there's no access to come in and out of the home, you may be able to trap them all. It sounds like you found a good system, if you can keep it up and they don't get wise to your methods.

Keep up the good work! Let me know if you have any follow-up questions. Cheers!
Kaci