Potted Korean Pine tree overwintering advice

I recently purchased a potted Korean pine tree (about 18 inches tall) and would like to keep it alive and dormant through the winter, then plant it in the spring. Should I keep it outside on our patio, in our unheated attached garage -- or in an outdoor shed that is also unheated and probably colder?j Will I need to water the tree if it is in a very cold location? Thank you for considering my questions, Kristine

Ramsey County Minnesota overwintering horticulture overwintering potted trees

With a tree that small, I would treat it like a houseplant. Give it plenty of bright light and water as needed. Do not fertilize. In the spring you can gradually take it outside to get used to the sun before planting. One word of warning though, please check the tag and look up the hardiness of your tree to make sure it is hardy in Zone 4. There are evergreen trees sold this time of year that are actually tropical and cannot take freezing temperatures, i.e. Norfolk Island Pine.