backyard garden fungus problems

Asked December 2, 2017, 11:25 AM EST

I have real problems with what I have been calling early blight. The problem was very bad this last wet growing season. It has gotten so it affects everything i grow. Okra and pepper plants loose leaves, they simply fall off, starting at the bottom. Cucumber plants do so so early but later plantings give way to the problem before producing. I select tomato and pepper plants that grow taller to get them away from the ground. Pink girls simply out grow the disease to some degree, no other tomato i have grown, and I keep trying other varieties, ever do as well. Bell peppers, mostly being shorter plants, do not do nearly as well as some of the hot and non bell sweet varieties. My question, anything i can do to relieve the problem? Oh, and i get white spots under the skin of both the tomato and pepper fruit. It seems to be directly related to the blight, being much worse on the plants hardest hit by the blight. I have read that these spots on from insect feeding, stink bugs which i do have, but the positive correlation makes me doubt this.

Fayette County Kentucky fayette county kentucky horticulture vegetable gardening

Hello. Thank you for your question. Please contact the Fayette County Extension Office for assistance. I have included the contact information below.

Jamie A Dockery
Extension Agent
Fayette Cooperative Extension Office
1140 Harry Sykes Way
Lexington
KY
40504
(859) 257-5582