Distillers Syrup

distillers syrup is a cheap byproduct of producing bourbon, allowing for a plausible cost effective feeding solution for cattleman. But what risks are associated with this product ? can it throw off rumen Ph ?can it be self fed ? etc.

Pendleton County Kentucky agriculture pendleton county kentucky distillers syrup

Thank you for reaching out. As a starting point I encourage you to refer the following publication from the University of Kentucky. The distilling and brewing industry in Kentucky is most certainly booming and offers a great opportunity for Kentucky Livestock Producers. The following publication balances the pros and cons of feeding wet byproducts to cattle.
https://afs.ca.uky.edu/files/pros_and_cons_of_feeding_wet_byproducts.pdf

A balanced ration for beef cattle is required for good nutrition, and distillers syrup will require diet supplementation. I would be happy to assist you with balancing a ration for your cattle, taking into consideration your operation and incorporating distillers syrup.

Please contact me via email or by phone. lindie.huffman@uky.edu 859.654.3395