Composting

Asked November 29, 2017, 9:05 AM EST

Last September, I received my first compost bin from the MG demonstration at Quiet Waters. I is now almost full. Should I remove and relocate the bin to "turn" the compost or should I let that rest until summer and just start a second compost pile?

Anne Arundel County Maryland compost plant care compost bin when to turn compost moving compost bin

If you need more space now to add compostable materials, yes, you can move the bin. Or, if you can't physically turn the compost and you want to turn it now, then you can certainly move it. If neither of these are the case, there is no rush to move (remove?) the bin.

Keep in mind that when temperatures drop, decomposition slows, then halts as the microorganisms become inactive in the cold. Unless there is a hurry to have fully composted compost, it is easier to simply let it decompose on its own schedule.
And, when the bin is full and you have fresh materials to add (in the spring or summer), then move it.