Bugs in house plants

After repotting a house plant, I have noticed little bugs in the dirt. I believe they are fungus gnats from doing my research. I had no issues with bugs and am guessing it was a bad bag of soil. I repotted them again (new bag of soil, tried to remove as much dirt as possible) but bugs are still there. Any idea how to get ride of them? I will let the soil dry up pretty well, notice fewer bugs but they keep coming back.

Ramsey County Minnesota

You are probably dealing with fungus gnats which breed in moist potting soil in your houseplants. Their presence is usually indicative of over-watered houseplants. Allow the top several inches of soil in your containers dry before watering again. Also, do not allow the pot to stand in water or for water to accumulate in pot saucers. To get rid of them using sanitation it may mean replacing all the soil and rinsing the roots. This can be pretty hard on plants. Garden centers have products that kill the larvae. It might take several treatments. As soon as there are too few gnats to breed the problem disappears.