Rose Disease, cut to green?

Asked November 25, 2017, 11:57 AM EST

Hello, I have noticed a black coloring at the tips of my rose stems that is growing down towards the root. I would like to cut out the diseased part by pruning at an angle at a node or the nearest green part of the stem. Is there the possibility that these will increase the disease susceptibility of my roses at a time when the rose itself is not growing and can fight the infection? Is it better to leave the disease until February when I do my regular pruning?

Lane County Oregon plant disease roses horticulture

Thank you for your rose plant question. Before giving you advice, I'm wondering if you might be able to take a picture of the plant--up close and from afar--so we can see what we're dealing with. Sometimes, dark coloration is a nutritional or water issue, rather than a disease. When did you start noticing the discoloration? Depending upon the variety of rose plant that you have, the darkening starting at the leaf tips just means they're in their normal process of dropping leaves in the winter. With more information, I'd feel more comfortable giving you advice. In the meantime, you might want to peruse this article from the American Rose Society, that tells what is happening to your plant(s) this time of year. Thanks!