Aloes Plant issue

Asked November 24, 2017, 10:13 AM EST

I have had aloes plants for almost 40 years. I have replanted them almost every year. The last 2 years have I gotten white spots the almost look like a mold on them. It is also sticky. I cannot find what it may be and thought you may be able to help me. They continue to grow and have sprouts of new plants come in so not sure the effect on the plants. I have attached a few pictures.

Hennepin County Minnesota mealy bugs on house plant

Sorry for the delay in responding to your question. It looks like your aloe plants have mealy bugs on them. You can remove them by hand by wiping them off with a soft cloth, Q tip or your fingernail. You will have to watch carefully for them and remove them as you see them. Make sure you look underneath the leaves too. You can spray them with insecticidal soap. It will take more than one spraying. You might want to consider replanting them all with new soil too. Here is a link to info about houseplant insects. http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/insects/find/houseplant-insect-control/#mealybugs