Start up cost for small scale hops production

As the craft beer market continues to boom, the need for hops, especially locally grown hops grows. Do you have any cost analysis, materials list, seed/plant suppliers, growth methods. I am trying to do some research to see if i might start growing. Thank you for any direction or support you can provide.

Meade County Kentucky agriculture hops production meade county kentucky

This is a very complex question. Start up costs are dependent on what equipment you have (tractors, sprayer, tiller), if you are planning on irrigating, fertilizer and lime requirements, how you are going to trellis them, etc. profitability depends on your markets, how much you are producing, quality and variety. Have you discussed this with your local Extension Agent? I’d be happy to discuss this further with you. You can email me at shawn.wright@uky.edu or call 606.666.2438 ext. 234 and leave a good phone number to reach you at.