Sick Guinea Hen

Asked November 16, 2017, 9:46 AM EST

The other day I noticed one my young guinea hens had puffy eyelids and wasn't as active as the rest of the flock. She was hatched this year and usually very active running all around the place but now she just sits on the fence all day. I haven't seen her drink anything and she hardly eats. I don't know what's wrong with her and I don't know how to help her. She keeps her neck close to her body with her feathers fluffed up. What should I do to help her?

Davidson County North Carolina guinea fowl

Sounds like she has a respiratory infection, not much you can do as it may be viral in nature and there is very limited access to antibiotics now, even if it was bacterial. Try to make sure she has ready access to food and water. You may want to isolate her to prevent the spread to others. If others become sick or she dies you can submit to a state diagnostic lab for a necropsy to determine what the issue is and know how to treat and or protect other birds in the flock. This link gives info on the labs.
http://www.ncagr.gov/vet/ncvdl/