Watering your garden with softened water!

I recently had a company (Hague Quality Water of Maryland) install a purification system in my house. Shortly thereafter my garden started to turn brown and the greenery was rapidly deteriorating. It seems that the softened water has salt in it and that this was causing the problem. When I bypassed the purification system the foliage began to recover. The company says they've never heard that softened water is bad for gardens yet everything I read on the internet says it is. Can you provide any clarification? Thank you,

Montgomery County Maryland miscellaneous water softener effect on plants

We do not have research on plants and water softeners. We cannot say for sure if the softened water caused the decline. If the softener was just installed it may take a while for salts to build up. You did not mention the type of plants affected, how old they were, how often they were watered, site location, drainage, etc.
Here is a link from Kentucky that offers more information http://www2.ca.uky.edu/agcomm/pubs/ip/ip7/ip7.pdf

Next season if you notice symptoms send us photos so we can see what you may be dealing with.