Artificial light for Bird of Paradise plant in winter

Asked November 13, 2017, 7:01 AM EST

I have a Strelitzia Regina - currently only 3 years old - which in winter I bring in to a double-glazed South-facing porch. I am sure it will benefit from daily artificial light for some hours. The location is 50°North in ‘not so sunny’ UK. Any advice will be most welcome

Outside United States tropical plants strelizia

Thank you for contacting us. I am not personally familiar with the sunlight conditions in the UK. In winter, a southern exposure would normally be suitable provided there is some protection from the strong mid-day sun.

Don't worry it the growth slows somewhat since slightly cooler temperatures and lower lighting provide a rest period while the plant is indoors. The most telling indication that there is not enough light would be if the plant starts to become leggy and less robust. In that case you might try a wide spectrum florescent light placed within a few feet of the foliage. Be careful to water only when the soil surface begins to feel dry.

Thank you very much for your helpful advice. The double glazing will give the plant adequate protection from frost as we are expecting a very cold winter. We don’t have a problem with overly-strong sunlight here in winter, but I’ll watch out for any signs of lanky growth. Thanks again.