oak leaf as mulch

Asked November 12, 2017, 10:04 AM EST

i want to prepare an area for a spring garden. I was going to spread newspaper out over the ground and cover with some sort of compost or mulch for the winter. then add soil amendments in the spring before planting. I have an abundance of oak leaves and maple leaves from trees in my back yard, will they work well as the mulch on the newspaper.?

Solano County California

Thanks for your question about leaves and your garden. What you're contemplating is often called "lasagna mulching" and it is explained in this Extension article. The only thing it doesn't mention that I would caution you about is that you want to make sure the cardboard doesn't have the plastic filaments they put in to strengthen it. They won't decompose, and you'll have them left in your garden. If you want to learn a bit more about soil, microbes, nutrients and composting, this is a great resource. Hope this is helpful. Good luck!