unknown tree identification

Hi. There are two of these trees (much taller than the other trees in the mixed hardwood "forest") on my property. They have leaves that are a elongated oval and irregular on the edges. Sorry, that is the best I can do to describe them. These trees are really tall. I have only the bark picture to use. I've looked around on the internet and have my suspicions but I'd like your input. The trees are in extreme northern Baltimore Co. near White Hall.

Baltimore County Maryland plant identification trees

It's difficult to accurately id a tree just from a photo of bark. More information would be very helpful.
We are not sure what you mean by "elongated ovals with irregular edges". Can you draw or do an images search on google and send us one that is similar to what you are describing? Or, take a look at this Extension publication: Leaf Key of Common Maryland Trees by clicking here: http://extension.umd.edu/sites/extension.umd.edu/files/_docs/EB-238_Leaf_Key_to_Common_Trees_in_MD.p...
Please estimate how tall. How tall or what type of trees are in your forest? How old are your woods (est.)?
Do you think it was planted there or a naturally seeded tree?
Are the top limbs peeling and white? Our largest tree in Maryland is a sycamore, and the lower trunk can be brown, but higher peels to white, green, brown mix.
We wonder about Common Hackberry, Oaks, or Hickories.
What color are/were the fall leaves?

We'd like to see a photo of the overall shape of the tree, which can be attached right to this reply.
Finally, tell us your suspicions and we'll tell you if we tend to agree or not.