I plan on purchasing a whole uncooked organic turkey from a local farm on a...

I plan on purchasing a whole uncooked organic turkey from a local farm on a Tuesday and will not be able to cook it until Saturday morning.Will it be safe to keep it refrigerated in a home refrigerator for 3 days before cooking? Thank you

Montgomery County Ohio

Thank you for your inquiry! I appreciate your desire to be food safe!

Yes, assuming the turkey is properly held in refrigeration at the farm after processing, transported in an insulated cooler (if you have any distance to travel) and is also held in refrigeration at your home until the time it is cooked, it will be fine. Your turkey should be cooked to an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit.

Note that it is recommended to cook stuffing separately rather than inside the bird. Placing the stuffing inside the bird insulates the inside of the bird and impacts cooking. If you do decide to cook stuffing in the bird, make sure to temp the stuffing in addition to the bird. The stuffing should be 165 as well.

I hope that helps. If you have any further questions, please contact me.