theresachipera@gmail.com

Asked November 9, 2017, 10:40 AM EST

I have fresh potatoes and I washed them and peeled them put them in cold salt water like I always do. And when I got done blanching them and strained them they turned a rusty color and some were streaked and some of them turned black. I have never had this happen before. I was going to can them but wasn't sure what happened. I have canned a lot of potatoes and never had this happen.

Please and thank you,

theresachipera@gmail.com

Howard County Iowa

Were the potatoes stored in a cold environment? When they are stored at too cold a temperature they can turn dark after cooking. Do you have iron in your water that you used to cook them? That can also cause them to turn dark. Growing conditions can cause problems too. The following research article talks about discoloration of processed vegetables. On the bottom of the 3rd page it talks specifically about cooked potatoes. http://nfscfaculty.tamu.edu/talcott/courses/FSTC605/Papers%20Reviewed/F&V%20Discoloration.pdf