Planting this late

I have just received many many bulbs and plants that were ordered in aug/sept. They were dekivered yesterday and today. Yes, i have been in touch with brecks. Can they be saved? Overwintered in any way. Should i chop through the dirt? I am 30 miles n of Brainerd, the ground is frozen. I need help! Can i store them until spring? Any help would be great. I must have at least 150 bulbs/plants. I already also left a voicemail. Thank you. Beth Blomquist (Bthblomquist@gmail.com)

Hennepin County Minnesota

Hi,

I am assuming you have spring blooming bulbs. If the ground is frozen, you shouldn't plant the bulbs. You can, however, try to overwinter them. That is best accomplished by putting them in cardboard boxes in layers separated by newspaper. (Take them out of any plastic wrappers/packages.) The bulbs should not touch each other. The box(es) should be stored in a dark, dry, cool place where the temperature does not fluctuate - unheated garages are ideal.

Here is some general information from the U:https://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/yard-garden/flowers/spring-flowering-bulbs/

Thank you. I have additional ? Our garage is not heated and will very cold, is that pk? Also, when putting in boxes do i put sevetal sheets of newspaper between layer and how many layets can i go? No soil or vermiculite or any kind? Also, i have many actual plants. Some in little 4" pots and many bare root kind of, ie: peonys, ferns, bleeding hearts coral bells etc. Can these be done the same way ot do i need to do something diffetent to try to save them. We do have a garage that is heated so it will stay probably 30 or so. Would that be better or are plants supposed to think they are outdoors. Thanks so much fir any further info. Beth Blomquist

As for the bulbs, go as many layers as the box will hold. No soil is necessary. The potted plants will need to go in a sunny, warm place. The bare root plants might survive in the bottom drawer of the refrigerator.

I can't say with certainty that these plants will make it. Have you tried to have the company that sold them to you take them back?