I have woods in Pickaway County. Last year I tapped 43 sugar maples. This...

I have woods in Pickaway County. Last year I tapped 43 sugar maples. This year I expect to tap 75. I bring the sap to my home in Upper Arlington when I boil it down and finish it. So far, I have not sold it to the public. I want to buy a reverse osmosis machine. If I can sell my syrup, the machine makes sense. i need some advice.

Franklin County Ohio maple syrup production

Your situation is somewhat unique as far as maple production goes. Your woods and your residence is a good distance apart. It certainly makes since to transport concentrate instead of raw sap as it will cut the volume of transported liquid down. However with only 75 taps, that may not be an issue.It will also cut your boiling time in half and that is where the value of a hobby RO comes in. Another question that comes up is are there more trees that you can tap in the future. Moving beyond the level you are at today, will mean that you need to think about equipment like an RO machine to make your operation more efficient. I assume you are on buckets and if you are your production at 75 taps wil be around 20 to 30 gallons of syrup per year. You definitely can market that locally at the current retail price of $40.00 to $50.00 per gallon. An RO will cost between $2000.00 and $4000.00 but it will be good for 10 plus years, with little maintenance other than sending the membrane out to be cleaned at least every other year. That brings the annual cost down to where it is affordable. Right now you are on the very edge of a level of production that will require and pay for an RO.If you have more questions you contact me at ober.10@osu.edu In the Geauga County Extension Office.

Les