Fruit trees

Asked November 7, 2017, 11:07 AM EST

Went to a seminar in Hart County last month and they were talking about planting local fruit trees. Where do you find the trees in this area?

Warren County Kentucky

Thanks for contacting me about your inquiry.

I would recommend that you go through a recommended nursery source for purchasing fruit tree root stock. For homeowners, UK Cooperative Extension recommends getting a dwarf or semi-dwarf tree, so it is easier to prune, spray, and harvest fruit.

Below, I have provided a link to our fruit and nut cultivar nursery sources publication. Each cultivar name within the list is followed by a series of two letter abbreviations which specify nurseries that carry the cultivar. This is followed by a list of nursery addresses, phone numbers, e-mail and website addresses. http://www.uky.edu/hort/sites/www.uky.edu.hort/files/documents/HortFact3002_2015.pdf

Feel free to contact me (Kristin Hildabrand) at the Warren County Cooperative Extension Service in Bowling Green at (270) 842-1681, if you would like more information.